God gives us love to give it away! Valentine’s Day is typically a day that kids give cards to their classmates and teachers as they create cute boxes and bags to receive cards, parents give special treats to their kids along with reassurance of their love and, of course, couples spend time and money to show their love for each other.
Take time this year to invest love in those around you, and make it a family “love” affair. Decide which people in your neighborhood or your circle of friends need to have a special reminder of God’s love. Make one of the Pick-a-Promise hearts for each recipient. Pray for them, then deliver it together. It will be a Valentine’s Day to remember…for you and for them.
Materials Needed: colored paper, hole punch, scissors, glue, markers or crayons, yarn or ribbon (about 40” for each heart), printed verses (see below) cut apart in strips
- Cut two identical 5” or 6” hearts from the colored paper.
- Match the hearts up, one on top of the other, and punch holes around the edges of the heart about ½” in from the edge and ¾ ” apart. Begin punching at the peak of the highest rise of the heart and end at the highest rise on the other side of the heart. Do not punch holes in the “V” portion of the heart. (Hint: once you punch one side of the heart, you can fold it over the other half and use the holes as a guide to punch holes on the other side of the heart.)
- Use the yarn or ribbon to lace the edges around the heart, beginning where you began punching the holes. Allow about 6” to remain at the end of both sides of the heart.
- Tie the ends of the yarn/ribbon together to form a hanger for the heart.
- Cut small hearts (about ¾”) to fit onto the end of the printed verses. Glue a small heart onto one end of each of the verse strips. Let dry,
- Place the verses into the heart vertically, with the small heart showing out the top.
- With the markers, write a special message on the front of the heart.
- Optional: Place a little treat in the heart, too, if you’d like
Verses (Print these out using a smaller font to make the strips about 5” long)
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (NLT)
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27 (NLT)
“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NLT)
If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. Psalm 139:8-10 (NLT)
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)
“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. John 14:1-3 (NLT)
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. Romans 8:38 (NLT)
Send us a reply…who did you give your heart to?