Nothing attracts us like the flicker of a fire in the darkness. Our eyes can’t help but be drawn to it. In fact, it can hold us in a trance for quite a while, especially if it is at the end of a busy day. Jesus used this analogy in Matthew 5:14 when he said, “You are the light of the world.” Take some time to be the light of the world with your family in the next few weeks. The power of loving kindness is so simple but leave such an impact. Here are some suggestions…
- Bake a treat and take it to a neighbor
- Do a simple yard project to help out someone older or recovering from illness
- Invite a family over that you would like to get to know
- Plan with your kids how they can be a friend to someone at school or in your neighborhood that doesn’t have many friends
- Volunteer as a family for an hour to help with a project at a non-profit organization
- Visit someone you know who is in a nursing home. Do a craft with them.
And pray for everyone you meet as you purposefully shine in your life. No need to wait until Christmas or Easter. It can become a lifetime habit that you will want to make sure you model with your kids.